In my current course Instructional Design in Online Learning through the Digital Learning and Leading program at Lamar University, we have been asked to build a course online using a previously developed Understanding By Design template. Last week I developed a course outline describing in detail what this course would entail including the links to the materials I have already embeded within my Schoology course. The details are outlined below in a Course Syllabus I created to represent what students will be learning and what they should be able to do upon completing the course. Although we were asked to input 50% of the course next week, I went ahead and got a head start so I have entered my entire course into the Schoology platform. I have also included this course syllabus on the Schoology course page under “Introduction” when you follow the link below.
Developing a Growth Mindset Through Literacy
- Course: English Language Arts
- Unit: Developing a Growth Mindset Through Literacy
II. Unit Description
- Learn the basics of blogging reflections and providing growth-minded feedback to peers within a personal ePortfolio
- Identify the fixed mindset voice and develop strategies to cultivate a growth mindset.
- Connect with character development within stories and apply the lessons to one’s own life.
- Apply understanding of cause and effect with learning from mistakes, and further viewing mistakes as a path to growth.
- Relate to others with social-emotional skills gained to persuade peers to read with an original book trailer.
III. Standards – Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills
4.6 (A) Learners will sequence and summarize the plot’s main events, identify cause and effect, and explain their influence on future events.
4.11 (C) Learners will describe explicit and implicit relationships among ideas in text organized by cause and effect, sequence or comparison.
4.19 (A) Learners will apply persuasive strategies to create a persuasive book trailer for an appropriate audience that establishes a position and uses supporting details. (e.g., Does the book trailer cause the intended effect of connecting to the hearts of their audience and persuade classmates to read the novel?)
Listening & Speaking/Social-Emotional Learning:
4.29 (A) Learners will participate in discussions with classmates by posing and answering questions with appropriate detail. Learners will provide suggestions that build upon the ideas of others. (e.g., What actions cause an unwanted effect? What actions cause a wanted effect? How can we use words to communicate needs effectively?)
IV. Unit Outcomes – Learning Goals
Students will be able to:
- Communicate effectively based on purpose and audience using appropriate vocabulary and conventions.
- Develop a conscious reflection of self by exploring character development and pursuing viable options based on interests, experiences, and aspirations.
- Advocate based on personal needs to determine an appropriate solution.
- Demonstrate self awareness by reflecting on how every action causes an effect on their surroundings.
- How to engage in academic discussion and collect others’ experiences as well as their own for later reflection.
- How to choose a platform and create a blog, ePortfolio, and animation.
- Use the art of persuasion to influence new readers.
A. Links to reading and videos posted in the Schoology course page
B. Course Access Code: F295-WGZD-Q24K8
C. Peers (Course Discussions)
VI. Course Expectations
A. Discussion posts
1. Participation in discussions is required. This modular activity will help you process the information provided.
2. Participation in the discussions will also serve to help you share ideas about module assignments.
B. Assignment Submissions
1. Submission of assignments and activities must be completed as
assigned on the Schoology course site.
2. Assignments are due on a weekly basis, but you can submit work early.
C. Class Communication is to be done through the Schoology course page.
This is how I will check your submitted work, post updates and notices, and respond to any questions.
Since this is an online course, you must be able to confidently navigate websites, download and upload content, use email effectively and efficiently, and locate information on websites.
VIII. Grading and Evaluation
1. Discussion Posts – 20 points each x 5 posts = 100 points
2. ePortfolio Creation = 50 points
3. Applying Sequence of Events Blog Reflection = 50 points
4. Character Relationship Animated Video + Blog Reflection = 100 points
5. Big Ideas Blog Reflection = 50 points
6. Persuasive Book Trailer + Cohesive Blog Reflection = 150 points
B. Grading scale
1. 450-500 A
2. 400-449 B
3. 300-359 C
4. Below 359 F